Monday, October 26, 2009

the r-word

now that i am in school for education i am learning about a lot of new things.  i have a child and adolescent studies class which i am not a fan of.  A. its from like 4-7 on thursdays, B. my brother is the case study for like everything we talk about (and his teacher is in my class so that makes me feel awkward) C. my teacher is very vanilla.

last thursday we were talking about disabilities and how the book we using uses the r-word and many people in my class were outraged.  (most of my classmates work in special education).  i was supprised that the word could evoke such emotion when used in a clinical setting.  i know how much outrage it can cause when used as an insult.

i challenge all of you to stop using the word as an insult and take the pledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment